Level 35, 600 Bourke St,

Melbourne 3000


(03) 8639 5620

Parent Visas



If you're a parent with children living in Australia, and if you would like to move to Australia and live here, then this visa is for you. Your children need to be Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens who are settled in Australia. To be eligible for this, you need to be sponsored, and you need to pass the balance-of-family test (i.e. at least half of your children live permanently in Australia).

Unfortunately, the waiting times for these visas are quite long, sometimes in the region of 30 years.


Contributory Parent

This visa lets parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia. It is different to the non-contributory parent visa (subclass 103) in the sense that it takes much less time to process this visa, owing to the higher costs and the higher bond value and term that visa applicants agree to when applying for this visa. The sponsors of this visa need to have stayed in Australia for at least two years before applying.


Contributory Parent (Temporary)

If you’re a parent whose kids live in Australia, and if you pass the ‘balance of family’ test, you can also apply for a temporary contributory parent visa, which will allow you to live in Australia for two years. You can work, study, and also enrol in Medicare, Australia’s health benefits scheme. You can apply for a permanent contributory parent visa after two years of holding the temporary visa.


Aged Parent

This visa is for older parents whose children live in Australia. If their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia, they can apply for this visa to relocate to Australia. You have to be sponsored, you have to meet the age requirements, and you must also be prepared to wait in a queue because these visas can take as long as 30 years to get approved.


Contributory Aged Parent

Similar to the Aged Parent category (subclass 804), but is more expensive and faster to process. The bond value that the applicants agree to when applying for this visa is much higher than that of a non-contributory Aged Parent Visa.


Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)

Similar to the Contributory Aged Parent visa in that it allows faster processing of visa applications when an aged parent wishes to live with children in Australia. But the period is temporary, for two years. An application can be made for a permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa after holding the temporary one for two years.