Level 35, 600 Bourke St,

Melbourne 3000


(03) 8639 5620

Temporary Work Visas


Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity)

This is for people who wish to come to Australia to perform temporary work of a specialised, non-ongoing nature. The nature of work will typically be social or cultural, under invitation by an Australian organisation, or it will be work that is crucial to Australia's interests. Work that involves exceptional circumstances, such as relief work during natural disasters, also fall into this category.

Typical duration of stay is up to three months, though sometimes it could be extended up to six months. You might be eligible for this visa if you have specialised knowledge that will help Australian businesses, and also if you have an invitation to an event organised by an Australian organisation.


Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity)

There are four streams that are possible under this subclass: exchange stream (where you can have an exchange arrangement in a skilled position), sport stream (where you can participate in high-level sport competitions), religious worker stream (which allows you to perform religious work) and domestic worker stream (in which you can do full-time household domestic work with certain senior foreign executives).

You will need to be sponsored by an approved sponsor and be nominated to undertake an approved activity. Skills and experience relevant to the approved activity will lend strength to your application.


Temporary Work (International Relations)

With this visa, you can come to Australia on a temporary basis under one of four streams: Government Agreement Stream (in relation to a bilateral agreement), Foreign Government Agency Stream (where you can represent a foreign government or teach a foreign language), Domestic Worker Stream (which allows you to work in the house of a diplomat) and the Privileges and Immunities Stream (where you can visit as a person with privileges and immunities).

Each of these streams has requirements that you must fulfil if your visa application is to be successful. Please get in touch with us if you think this subclass applies to your situation.


Seasonal Worker Program

The purpose of this visa is to promote international relations by encouraging social and cultural exchanges between countries by means of seasonal work. In order to be eligible for this visa, you need to be invited by a Special Program sponsor to participate in the Seasonal Worker program. This will be a temporary visit in which you can expect to learn a lot about the way of life in Australia.


Working Holiday

If you’d like to have a working holiday in Australia for up to a year, then this is the visa for you. You will need to be between 18 and 31 years of age, without any dependent children who will be accompanying you to Australia at any time during your visit, and you need to hold the passport of an eligible country. If you tick all three boxes, then you can apply straight away. For a full list of eligible countries, get in touch with us and we’ll help you out.


Work and Holiday

This is slightly different from subclass 417 (Working Holiday) in the list of eligible countries whose passport you need to hold in order to stand a chance of being successful in getting a visa. It’s a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries. Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile and Indonesia are some of the countries that are eligible. For the full list, please contact us.


Temporary Work (Skilled)

You need to have both a nominated occupation and an approved sponsor to be able to get this visa. Its purpose is to allow skilled workers to travel to Australia on a temporary basis of up to four years. Both sponsorship and skill-relevance are important considerations in the visa application. You can apply from both within and outside the country.


Skilled - Recognised Graduate

If you’re younger than 31, and if you’ve completed an engineering degree at a recognised institution in the past two years, you may be eligible for this visa. Its purpose is to allow recent engineering graduates to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience. Contact us for the full list of recognised institutions.


Temporary Graduate

This is for international students who have recently graduated from one of Australia’s educational institutions. It lets you work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. English competency, age, visa status, and the two-year study requirement are some of the criteria that you must fulfil to be eligible for consideration in this subclass.